As pet parents we want the best for our pets, whether it’s high quality food or designer accessories, we are spending a record amount of money to keep our pets happy (or us). But just how much money and just how big is the pet industry now? Here are the latest statistics on the pet industry and from Global Pet Expo.
“The Show That Means Business” for the pet industry sells out for the first time in it’s 13-year history
1. Size: This year the Pet Industry Distributors Association (PIDA) expanded the show floor to 343,700SF of exhibit space (nearly 24,000 feet larger than 2016), to accommodate the growing numbers of exhibiting companies, buyers and booths.
2. Buyers: Significant growth in total buyer attendance with 6,761 buyers, up more than 9.5 percent from 2016; international buyer attendance rose 22 percent from 2016; 72 percent of buyers were domestic companies; more than a quarter of total buyers were from outside of the U.S., coming from 79 countries – confirming Global as just that, the largest business opportunity for the pet industry around the world.
3. Exhibitors: There were 1,130 exhibiting companies — including 270 first-time exhibitors — meaning more than 3,437 booths; 27 percent of the exhibitors were international, making up 305 of the 1,130 exhibitors — up 30 percent from 2016.
4. New Products: 2017 featured more new product launches than any other show in the industry; nearly 1,000 entries in the newly designed 30,000SF New Products Showcase alone.
5. Media: National media attention from those within the pet industry and outside including The TODAY Show, TLC network, Reader’s Digest, NPR Radio and numerous pet lifestyle bloggers and influencers.
6. Spending: American Pet Products Association’s (APPA) pet industry spending figures show a record-breaking $66.75 billion in pet spending for 2016, up $6 billion from 2015, while estimated spending for this year is $69.3 billion; another 3.9 percent growth.
New Product Showcase — Where New Products Show Off
For the first time in Global’s history the media was allowed to vote for the best new product in several categories including: Dog, Cat, Boutique, Aquatics, Bird, Natural Pet, Reptile Small Animal. We’re going to focus on the Dog and Cat categories only, the complete list of 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners can be found here.
New Product Showcase – Dog Category
Best In Show
West Paw Design
TropiClean Natural Flea & Tick
TropiClean Pet Products
Because of time constraints I spent most of my time running through the dog section taking photographs of those I found interesting. In the cat section only a few things caught my eye including the Side Table Cat Bed which got my vote. Company web sites are provided but many products aren’t available on the sites yet.
New Product Showcase — Cat Category
Best In Show
Catysmile Backpack Cat Carrier (no picture available)
The Bridge (no picture available)
Molly and Friends Cat Furniture Company
Side Table Cat Bed
Sauder Woodworking Co.
That’s a wrap from Global Pet Expo 2017!